Navigation Menu: Customers
TIP: For best results, use Google Chrome when working in the platform
This article provides detailed information on how to create a new customer in the platform.
Customer accounts can be created two ways:
- Resellers can create the customer account using the SES reseller portal
- Customers can request an account through the reseller's end-customer portal, referred to as the marketplace storefront. (Per the Reseller's approval)
When you create a customer in SES, the following items should be determined:
- What cloud providers are you authorizing your customer to buy?
- What pricebook should be applied to your customer?
- What support plan, if any, do you want to assign to your customer?
- If you are part of the AWS Solution Provider program, the AWS Business Level Support charges will need to be configured for each customer. If you don't apply a support plan to your AWS customers, then you see a difference in your program margin.
- If you are reselling Microsoft Azure there are multiple support plans available. For more information regarding Azure Support Plans, click the link on the right. Azure Support Plans
Reseller Creating the Customer - To Add a customer, follow these steps:
1. From the SES Home screen, select the Customer module
Click on the images below to magnify
2. Click [Add]
3. The Customer Information screen displays. Enter all information in the fields. Required fields are noted with a green checkmark. Then Save to go to the next steps.
4. Adding Users: To enable access to the Customer Portal, the reseller can create the customer's user credentials. Click on Users to add or edit the status of current users. For more information regarding the Customer Portal, please read the SES Knowledge Base article titled: How Do I Find the SES End-Customer Portal URL?
Password: Set a password for the customer/user to login.
Status: set the user status by selecting one of the options from the drop-down list. User status options include:
- Pending Email Validation
- Pending Approval
5. Custom Fields: (If applicable) Custom fields are defined under Settings > Cost Management > Custom Fields screen. An example of some custom fields could be territory, sale representative name, customer account number. These fields display when you export billing report data in SES.
6. Cloud Providers: Expand the Cloud Billing folder on the left side of the Customer sceen. A list of all vendors you're authorized to resell display in this screen. Double-click on the cloud provider to to enable the services for purchase and set Pricebooks. Toggle 'on' the Enable provider in customer portal to allow Dashboard and Reports to appear in the customer portal.
7. Pricebook: Select a pricebook from the list.
*A note about the "Pass RI optimization to customer" option. The Default for this setting is "unchecked". This feature is specific to the AWS Reseller program. You select this feature if you want all reserved instance discounts to pass through to the customer.
If this is not checked, only discounts for reserved instances purchased by that customer will be passed to their account.
8. Cloud Accounts: From this screen, you can Request a New cloud account or Add to Link existing cloud accounts. Selecting Add connects the account to SES, in order for a Reseller to manage the billing data.
For more information regarding cloud provider accounts, click on the links below:
9. Charges and Discounts: Select a cloud provider and assign charges and discounts to the cloud provider or to individual cloud accounts belonging to the provider. (Example: Support Charges) This overrides the default charges and discounts. Click "Manage charges and discounts" to configure the default and custom charges and discounts. By using custom charges and discounts, you can manage and bill across multiple types of customers and resellers as required for your business. For more information, please read How to Assign Support Plan Charges to Cloud Accounts and How to Create and Manage Support Plans
Global Discount/Uplift: This is an optional setting. Enter a value in the field by moving the slider to create the percentage uplift or discount across the total value of the billing statement. Global price settings are applied when you generate your billing statement. Note: Using the option impacts ALL accounts under the customers profile. Creating a custom pricebook is the preferred method for adjusting the customers price for cloud services. Use Global Discount/Uplift with caution as this is not 'best practice' to use for most accounts.
Is taxable: Add a checkmark to the "Is Taxable" option, if applicable. You can set up tax rate information in the [Tax] menu.
The Customer Portal
The end customer experience with the sign-up process is controlled by the settings you define in the reseller management console of SES.
Existing Customers will use the "Login" option. For more information, please read Configuring the Customer Portal Options, How to Setup and Manage End User Access and Password Resets, and How Do I Find the SES End-Customer Portal URL?
New Customers can use the "Sign up" option. Once all required fields are completed, a confirmation screen will display and the customer must validate their email before the reseller is notified. An email message to approve the signup of your customer is sent to the email address you specified in the Email Templates.
The platform administrator will need to follow these steps:
1. Log into SES and select the [Settings] module
2. Click on the [Approval Requests] menu
3. Look for the Pending transactions in the approval queue.
4. Double-click the request to view the details.
5. Click Decline if you want to delete the request or Approve and Forward to approve and send the request to SES Cloud Ops for processing.
Note: For Approvals, make sure the customer is authorized for a specific cloud provider under the customer's profile, in the Customer module. Be sure to set a price book and support plan (if applicable). See steps above.